Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Penny Problem


Today was a unique day.  As part of our Valentine's Day celebration, the student council organized a fund raiser and donated proceeds to the American Heart Association.  Here's how it worked.  Students would put change on their teachers' desks and the teachers had to count all of the change before they could start teaching class.  As you can well imagine, almost all of the change was pennies.

So here is the question I posed to 2nd block.
I counted $13.17 worth of pennies.  If I was going to tile the floor with them, how much space would it take up?

Also, here is the question I posed to 3rd block.
I counted $12.04 worth of pennies.  If I could stack them all, how tall would the tower of pennies be?

Happy Valentine's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment