Tuesday, August 28, 2012

How @engrade saved my life and other goals


We are now a week into school. Things are going great so I think it's time for a goal update!


Goal 1:  Use a real grade book.

I thought I was going to actually do it... I really did. I made it through the first half of the first week and then I gave.  I do have a good reason though.  Our department purchased iPads for us.  Now last may this would not have made a difference, but since then one thing has changed.  Our school district moved to a new data collection tool called Engrade.  It turns out that Engrade is fully compatible with it, and the old program that we used was not.  Now I can check homework at the beginning of class and it is already in the system.  It takes about two minutes to finish checking the whole class and have grades posted.  Also, with Engrade I can take attendance and make notes on behavior on the fly.  My next goals post will have an update on whether or not this was a good move.

Goal 2: Have all of my Geometry students at 65% or above at midterm.

My last update mentioned that I was working on some very engaging lessons.  I am proud to say that they are working out just as planned.  My regular geometry class is actually keeping pace with my honors class!

Goal 3: Make a contract for technology use in my classroom.

So the students have to fill out something called an AUP.  This document let's the students know what is expected of them with technology at school.  In the next week or so, my juniors and seniors should be getting their school issued laptops, and they are as excited as I am!  I think this goal is accomplished for me.

Goal 4: Reflect and revisit my goals once a month.

It is about time! I have finally met this goal.  Good luck next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment